• Welcome to the forum of professional participants of the drug market!

Here you will get all the necessary information about organizing a laboratory of any size, from a small kitchen at home to an industrial facility.
    And if you have your own production, here you will find all the relevant information to improve efficiency and safety.
    In the sections of the forum you will find:

• Methods of synthesis and analysis;
    • Suppliers of chemicals and equipment;
    • Descriptions of the pharmacological action of substances;
    • Business technologies.

Crystallization of mephedrone (4MMC)

Marvin "Popcorn" Sutton

Expert
Reaction score
Conditions for crystallization of 4-methylmethcathinone:
- Constant temperature 22-24 ºC
- Dry air (<40% relative humidity)
- Container volume

Simple method.
We prepare a solution of isopropanol or ethanol and water in the ratio of 30/70, 50/50, 70/30. Proportion is adjusted to the task and to the volume of the container for crystallization. The more water in solution, the longer the crystal grows and larger fraction. Average proportion of mephedrone to water is 1 g per 2-3ml of solvent. The solution is preliminarily brought to a slight boil (small bubbles). Then mephedrone is added in portions so that it has time to dissolve. After all the product has dissolved, boil for a few minutes and pour the solution into a crystallization bowl. Plastic and glass bowls are mostly used. With a layer height of 1-2 cm, a fraction the size of sugar will turn out, a layer of 3-5 cm will give a fraction of up to 5 mm.
For crystallization, you can equip air-conditioned boxes, fume hoods and vacuum cabinets, use air dryers.
After solvent evaporation, wet crystals are obtained, which are well dried under cold blowing or infrared radiation (IR lamp or IR heater).
16.08.2.jpg

16.08.3.jpg
16.08.5.jpg

Method with gradual cooling.
When evaporation is 50% or more, crystallization centers are formed in the solution. To accelerate the crystallization process, the mixture is gradually cooled. First placed for 8-12 hours in a refrigerator T ~ (4 ºC), then for 8-12 hours in a freezer ~ (-20 ºC), depending on conditions.

Crystallization technique on the rotary evaporator (always produces a fine fraction).
Mephedrone is dissolved in a solvent in the proportion of 1 g per 1 ml. The solution is placed in the flask of the rotary evaporator and the distillation begins. The deeper the vacuum, the lower the boiling point of the solution. Large amounts of fine crystals can be obtained quickly in this way.
In the absence of a rotary evaporator, it is possible to evaporate the solution with a hot air gun from a crystallization bowl. In this case, glass or ceramic heat-resistant glassware is used. But it is important not to overheat the product, as there is a possibility of spoiling it.

Crystallization technique with rapid cooling.
Mephedrone is dissolved in hot water in the proportion of 1 g per 1 ml and brought to a boil. After complete dissolution, 0.5 alcohol or other organic polar solvent is added. The hot solution is poured into plastic containers at ½ or 2/3 of the container volume, sealed and cooled in the freezer to -20 ºC or less.
If the street temperature is negative, you can crystallize on the street.
There is a chance that the product will not all fall out, in which case you should filter the crystals and additionally evaporate the solution.

Method of crystallization in brine.
In 100 ml H2O, dissolve 23 g NaCl. In this brine dissolve 100 g of mephedrone, the solution should be heated for better solubility. The solution is poured into a plastic container for ½ or 2/3 of the container volume and sealed hermetically. Crystals grow at minus temperatures up to ~(-18 ºC). If cooled below this temperature, the brine can freeze.
dfhgmv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

justlooking403

Reaction score
thanks for sharing man. what is the average yield of the final product with the proportions you use?

Reaction score
want to crystallize 3cmc. which solvent is best to use for the freezer method. I understand that I dissolve 1g 3cmc in 1 ml of water .. I understand that 0.5 of the solvent is to be equal to how much the product will dissolve. e.g. for 1kg of 3cmc in 1l of water, 0.5l of solvent is added? what do you think about crystallization in dcm?

William Dampier

Expert
Reaction score
want to crystallize 3cmc. which solvent is best to use for the freezer method. I understand that I dissolve 1g 3cmc in 1 ml of water .. I understand that 0.5 of the solvent is to be equal to how much the product will dissolve. e.g. for 1kg of 3cmc in 1l of water, 0.5l of solvent is added? what do you think about crystallization in dcm?
No DCM crystallization. Only water+alcohol (vodka), water+acetone. Proportions - 1:1 - 1:3 powder:liquid. Percentange for acetone/alcohol in water depends on the quality and purity of the powder than dirtier, the more. The growth rate and size of crystals depends on the total amount of solvent

Reaction score
Ok, that is, 0.5l of acetone will be in a liter of water? We assume the gunpowder is clean

Jamroz

Reaction score
Brine cristalisation doest give expected results (crystal is not as transparent as crystals on ur pic, its one solid rock with white coating). Any idea what mistake i did?

Reaction score
Brine cristalisation doest give expected results (crystal is not as transparent as crystals on ur pic, its one solid rock with white coating). Any idea what mistake i did?
how fast did you get crystal this method? can you show in the picture what crystal you came out with?

"I invite you to my new post in which I will present my ideas of mef production devices ... I will also be happy to get to know your ideas. "

Marvin "Popcorn" Sutton

Expert
Reaction score
Crystals may differ in shape and appearance depending on the method of their production. The crystals in the photo are obtained from a 50/50 alcohol/water solution in the proportion of 3ml per 1g of mmc in a dry room.
If you want to experiment with crystallization, send me a PM, and we'll figure out the most important nuances.

WhalterWhite

Reaction score
Hello.If I have 100 g of ready-made 4mmc powder, how much is the product after crystallization?

Marvin "Popcorn" Sutton

Expert
Reaction score
Hello.If I have 100 g of ready-made 4mmc powder, how much is the product after crystallization?
It depends on the purity of the mephedrone powder. The crystal is initially a pure fraction of the product and as the solvent evaporates, dirt creeps in. If the powder is 98-99% pure enough, you will get crystals of ~90% of the powder mass.

Reaction score
Crystals may differ in shape and appearance depending on the method of their production. The crystals in the photo are obtained from a 50/50 alcohol/water solution in the proportion of 3ml per 1g of mmc in a dry room.
If you want to experiment with crystallization, send me a PM, and we'll figure out the most important nuances.
so I understand that the brine option was used: 50ml h20 / 50ml alcohol and 23g Nacl, right?

Bazooka90

Reaction score
Anybody knows how to check the purity of 3cmc and what solvent is better for cleaning? Can i clean it with acetone?

Last edited:

Bazooka90

Reaction score
I
No DCM crystallization. Only water+alcohol (vodka), water+acetone. Proportions - 1:1 - 1:3 powder:liquid. Percentange for acetone/alcohol in water depends on the quality and purity of the powder than dirtier, the more. The growth rate and size of crystals depends on the total amount of solvent
I have recived 200g of 3cmc very dirty, i put it in the mixer to make it powder, i have cleaned it with acetone, after that i put the 3cmc powder in 200 ml of water in order to dissolve it and add 400 ml of etilic alcohol. The crystalization did appeared but the color is very brownish. Any idea why?

Marvin "Popcorn" Sutton

Expert
Reaction score
I

I have recived 200g of 3cmc very dirty, i put it in the mixer to make it powder, i have cleaned it with acetone, after that i put the 3cmc powder in 200 ml of water in order to dissolve it and add 400 ml of etilic alcohol. The crystalization did appeared but the color is very brownish. Any idea why?
I advise you to read this topic. I think the 3mms is cleaned in a similar way.

KHaafii

Reaction score
Hi i have a question.

If I'm going to do the synthesis of mephedrone. Once I have my yield of this synthesis. What's the difference between selling it after the first synthesis and when I crystallize the mephedrone I've made.

Is there a huge price difference? is it's worth or can i just sell it in pure form after the 1st synthesis without cutting it up with anything.

The goal is to eventually sell in larger quantities. But I'm curious what the difference would be if I went for the crystallization or not.

Thanks